What would you do if you won the lottery? Would it change your life? Would you move home, leave your job, help your friends or family, or would you keep everything pretty much the same as before, and carry on working in your nine to fives?
We all have pretty fixed ideas about what would happen, we’ve been through the scenario in our heads enough times. And there is no way we’d mess it up like those morons you read about in the newspapers. Heck no. Like the ones that blow all their cash and end up on skid row, or the suckers that keep their nine to five cleaning jobs at Denny’s. But hey, until we hit it big and cash in the US Powerball jackpot (worth a staggering $100 million this week), who can say for sure what we would do? Before moving on to some shocking examples of past winners’ behaviour, it is worth noting that the US Powerball can nowadays be played from Canada as well as other countries!
So what have different lottery winners have done in the past? And what is the statistical likelihood of you doing the same? Of course, this is in no way scientific, and just a bit of fun – but the statistics are based on the answers of 34 real life lottery winners, averaging at 46 years old, with 8 males and 26 females.
When I Win the Lottery….
My marriage won’t be affected.
You’re probably not wrong, with a promising 95% of our respondents staying married to their husbands or wives after winning. Maybe it’s down to becoming super-close after going through probably the most intense and breath-taking experience on the planet, but who knows? Whatever the reason, this heart-warming fact has made us a little bit more optimistic today.
I won’t be any more likely to leave my boyfriend/girlfriend.
The numbers are on your side with this one, with an unbelievable 100% of our sample group staying with their partners after winning. Now we’re wondering why those married slackers don’t pick up their game. Damn quitters.
I will provide for the future generations of my family.
We’re gonna call you a straight up liar on this one, unless you’re one of the thrifty 10% who can keep hold of their money long enough for the third generation to get some. That’s right, a big old 90% of lottery winners have spent up by the time their grandkids come of age, leaving the family fortunes at a big fat zero.
I’ll make the money last a long time.
A long time – that’s a relative concept, right? So let’s just agree on a ball park figure and work from there. Does 5 years sound ok for starters? Ok. Well if you say you would be able to keep at least some of your money past the 5 year mark, you’d probably be right – but not by much. An extravagant 44% of lottery winners have spent all their money within a 5 year period, leaving them with nothing to show for it and one hell of a hangover.
I’ll give some money to my family.
The numbers are on your side with this one. A whopping 83% of winners gave money to their family, which we think is just lovely. We would hate to think that lottery winners become so selfish that they wouldn’t share their luck, and this has justabout restored our faith in humanity.
I’ll definitely give some money to my friends.
While you might be right about this, there’s a surprising twist. Who would you expect to be more sharing and caring, men or women? Who has more close friends, men or women? So which gender would give money to more friends, men or women? Well, men gave money to three friends, on average, while women gave to just one. Come on ladies, share the wealth!
It won’t change anything between me and my best friend.
We are happy to say that you’re probably right on this one. An amicable 90% of the respondents stated that they kept the best friends they had from before their big win. We were impressed with this statistic, as well as the previous two, because it seems that money doesn’t come between important relationships.
I’ll finally get round to hitting the gym.
Maybe you would, but with a mouth-watering 32% of our respondents gaining weight, it seems like some finally got round to hitting the best restaurants in town. This might not be such a bad thing, as it shows they’re making the most of their winnings – and hey, if you can’t dodge that salad bar after winning the lottery, what’s it good for anyway?
I’ll move to my dream home.
Not according to the stats, my friend. Some of the group did move into a new house, no doubt with champagne filled jacuzzis and pet lions guarding the property, but a stubborn 62% of our winners stayed exactly where they were. Home is where the heart is, and we salute those winners who had already found that ideal homestead.
I’ll quit my day job – obviously!
Well this might seem like a sure-fire life choice after winning, and actually the whole point of even playing the lottery, but you may be more likely to keep that job than you think. Only 52% of our respondents actually left their jobs after winning the lottery. This means that the odds on this are justabout even with an eager 48% continuing to set their alarm clock every night. Interesting life choice!
I’ll quit buying lottery tickets.
Well, maybe you would buck the trend, but you’re a lot more likely to continue buying tickets than not. A bold 68% of lottery winners continue to buy tickets each week, quietly confident that they will hit the jackpot again before long. They even decide to expand their horizons, using the services of an online lottery concierge such as theLotter to enter the world’s biggest draws, while benefiting from many other benefits such as theLotter joining syndicates, playing with multi-draws or using systematic forms to boost their odds of hitting it big (again!).